Competitive Coaches met on Monday, July 10. These are the notes from that meeting.
Competitive Softball Meeting Notes
Spring League Notes
The 4 lower fields at Antimi; Green, Purple, Red and Blue will completely renovated for the 2018 season with 210′ to 220′ fences.
Number of league games in a season 10 or 12. Discussion split.
Majority in favor of starting league April 15 and ending by May 31.
• Knowledge of rules
• Two umpires per game
• Clocks on fences to determine end of game
• Umpire mechanics
A) More vocal on balls and strikes
• Improve training by having scrimmage games with umpire training
Current time limits and drop dead times are fine.
Only “A” level teams be allowed to play up to the next age division
How to have more competitive games in 8 and 10 team leagues
• In a 12 game league, play the first 8 games and then split the league into a gold and silver divisions to play the last 4 games to have more competitive games.
• Monitor games for the first half of seasons and if teams are dominant or struggle reclassify the team for the last half of the season, up or down, to another division with the agreement of the Coach.
• Leagues with A and B teams, play more games with other teams in their same classification.
• Do not mix C teams with B teams.
Eliminate game run limits of 12, 10 and 8 and only retain the 5 run limit per inning and play to time limit or drop dead.
Make score board controllers available for games.
There is interest in games in a one day format using a high school bracket.
Ensure teams are awarded USSSA points for playing in league.